Goal-setting is a key foundation for your growth and success.
A goal is an: ‘idea of the future or desired result that a person or group envisions, plans and commits to achieve’ within a timeframe. They say only 3 percent of Americans have goals written down and one percent review and rewrite their goals daily. What about you?
People who have goals written down and review them daily are significantly more likely to achieve them and to be un-diverted by the obstacles and blocks that will inevitably show up on the journey.
If you don’t have them for yourself, why not think about it? September and January are the two main times of year that people do personal and professional planning so now is a great time to be setting goals and planning the action steps to achieve them so you are ready to go from September.
Groups like weight watchers are successful because they help people set goals and give them a strategy and plan while supporting them to achieve success. They create a motivating focussed environment in which people can succeed. Successful athletes and most successful people have mastered the art and developed the habit of goal setting. Goals can help us succeed and be and do what we want in all areas of our lives. If you have never set them, start with short-term ones and be realistic. The success will inspire and pave the way for even bigger and greater successes and personal victories.
Here are 5 steps to achieving your goals helping you realise your dreams and potential:
- Write them down. Whether they are related to personal development, writing, money, getting healthy, strengthening relationships, making home improvements or improving your character write them down.
- Take time to formulate a SMART Each Goal should be very Specific and Measurable. How will you know if you are on track or when you’ve accomplished the goal? List the Actionable steps (or objectives) required to achieve the goal. Each goal should be Realistic and have a clear Timeline. When will you achieve the goal and each of the steps and objectives?
- For quickest and best success, the written down goals should be placed somewhere you can easily see them and reviewed daily. If you are on track, keep going. If you are off track, and the goal is still relevant and what you want, revise the action steps.
- Believe in yourself. ‘Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success’. Pablo Picasso
- Celebrate when you reach your goal and set new ones each time challenging yourself to bring you to greater heights.
There are so many advantages to having goals. And yet few have them. Why? People are not aware on the importance and value of goal setting and the how to of doing it – thus this article. Fear plays a big part. We fear disappointment, failure or what others think and say. If you don’t share your goals, no one can knock them or tell you, you can’t. If you do share, share only with people who are committed to helping you achieve your goals and their own. That way you cannot be disheartened by others.
Take inspiration from Venus Williams. ‘I don’t focus on what I’m up against. I focus on my goals and I try to ignore the rest’.
And ‘Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: now’. Denis Waitley
Wish you every success and enjoyment in planning your future goals this month.